College Student on Registry Needs Help With Paper

originally posted 11/17/2009

I’m currently a registered sex offender in North Carolina.  I know that my state isn’t as bad as some with their laws, but I’m afraid that it will get worse.  I’ve been on the r.s.o. list  since 2001 and have two years left.  I was only 18 when I got convicted of indecent liberties with a minor.  The girl was 14.   Her parents were alright with us dating and said that they didn’t care what we did as long as she didn’t get pregnant.  I was ill-informed that the law was as long as the age difference was less then 5 years it was legal.   Well after we broke up her parents called the police.   I never denied anything we did I even told the police everything we had done because I didn’t know it was illegal. We never had sex because she wanted to wait but we did everything else other then vaginal intercourse.   I spent 2 1/2 years in prison and 3 years probation.   Went through counseling and haven’t re-offended.   Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do to help me come off of the registry?   I`m also writing a paper for College English – any ideas are welcome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *